- BLEEDING: Following tooth removal some bleeding is to be expected. If you are biting on gauze, continue biting for 30 minutes following removal. If bleeding persists, place fresh gauze pads over the area and bite down firmly for another 20 minutes. Repeat if necessary.
- SMOKING: Do not smoke for a minimum of 12 hours following removal. Tobacco contains bacteria that can infect the healing site.
- DO NOT RINSE MOUTH TODAY: You may drink liquids as usual but, do not rinse and spit as this may dislodge the blood clot in the healing site. Tomorrow rinse mouth gently every 3 to 4 hours (especially after meals) using 1/4 teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. Continue rinses for several days.
- SWELLING: An ice bag of chopped ice wrapped in a towel should be applied to the operated area – 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off – for 4 to 5 hours.
- PAIN: For mild to average pain use any non-aspirin type of medication you like. If your surgery was extensive, a prescribed pain medication should be taken as instructed.
- FOOD: A soft, light diet is recommended during the first 24 hours.
- BONY EDGES: Small sharp bone fragments may work up through the gums during healing. These are not roots; if they are annoying please return to the office for their simple removal.
- SUTURES: If sutures have been placed an appointment will be made for removal.
- MEDICATION: If a prescription has been given, please take the proper doses of medication as instructed.
- HYGIENE: Proper oral hygiene will speed the healing process and diminish sensitivity. The first few days following surgery be careful not to dislodge any sutures by using light pressure when brushing and flossing. Usually 2 to 4 days following treatment you should be able to resume your normal routine.
Remember your body is in a healing phase and will need time to return to normal. If any unusual symptoms occur, please notify us at once.
It is our privilege to provide this service for you. Please call us if you have any questions regarding your treatment. At our practice we care about you and want you to be as comfortable as possible.